Thursday, April 22, 2010

Watch the Birdie!

Yesterday afternoon/early evening was an exciting time for watching birds around the house. The excitement started with Chris' spot of an Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus) in our front garden. At first, neither of us was sure what kind of bird it was, but after a quick check of my field guide for PA birds, we were able to make the ID. I then put in the bird song/call CD that accompanied the field guide and we listened to the song and call of the Eastern Towhee. Chris said he'd been hearing it out back all week.

After dinner, I decided to sit out on the deck to enjoy the lovely weather and began listening and looking for birds in our stand of trees. Almost immediately, a White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) began chirping and climbing one of the trees. I ran inside to grab my binoculars for a better view. When I returned, it took me a few minutes to find the bird again, but once I did, I was able to zero in on him and make the ID. I ran back in the house for my field guide for PA birds and my Smithsonian eastern region bird guide so they were handy.

I didn't make any other new or rare IDs last night, but in the 25 minutes that I sat outside, I was able to watch and enjoy the antics of the White-breasted Nuthatch, several American Robins (Turdus migratorius), and several Chipping Sparrows (Spizella passerina). Chipping Sparrows were eating Nyjer seed at the feeder, not on the ground which is their usual M.O. They are easily one of my favorite birds, simply because of their light and airy "tzee" chip or chirp that they make.

Until next time, keep your eyes open for wild wonders...

No comments: