Friday, June 6, 2008

Fredrick Takes a Dip!

This evening I stepped out onto the deck to take care of the evening's watering chores - this included refilling the pond some, watering all of the plants on the deck, those in the butterfly and hummingbird garden, those out in the blackeyed Susan garden, and turning on the sprinkler for the vegetable garden.

I started the hose flowing into the pond and stepped back into the house get the food to feed the fish. It was - as usual - a feeding frenzy as soon as the food hit the surface of the water. However, I noticed a large splash as I turned away from the pond to put the food container on the grilling station. I turned around and saw an odd swirling of the water. I just thought that was due to the crazy fish, but then I noticed him!

Our resident green frog (Rana clamitans), Fredrick von Hoppenstance. There he was swimming across the pond without a care in the world. He stopped in the middle of the pond for a minute and I was able to get a good look at him. He is quite handsome...as far as frogs go. He swam to the far side of the pond and under a rock. I am not sure if he was eating the fish food as well, or just happened (hoppened?) to take a swim at the same time. Whatever the case, it was nice to see Fred this evening.

I should note before I go that we had a great day of rain on Wednesday and everything...EVERYTHING...has really perked up with the natural watering. The vegetable garden looks great. We have corn popping up in rows...so exciting! The plants on the deck, especially the two peppers and the Mr. Stripey tomato, look really healthy and vibrant as well. I swear the one pepper plant has grown four inches in the last two days!

Until next time, keep your eyes open for wild wonders!

No comments: